CBD or Cannabidiol is a compound derived from cannabis plants like marijuana and hemp. Only hemp-derived CBD is permitted for use in the US. It is quickly emerging as a natural remedy for many ailments and hence, as an alternative for pharmaceutical drugs. If you want to use CBD, here are some basic things like What is CBD? you ought to know as a first time user.
What is CBD?
CBD is derived from the Cannabis Sativa and is one of the hundred or so active compounds found in the plant. CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, responsible for its response to pain and stress. However, unlike other compounds found in cannabis plants, like THC, CBD does not have any psychoactive effects. That is, it does not cause the sensation of feeling high. Hence, it is considered very safe for use.
Benefits of CBD
You can use CBD for the following reasons:
- CBD is proven effective in treating pain and inflammation. So, if you are suffering from arthritis or sciatica, CBD can give you long stretches of pain-free hours. It will likewise, increase mobility and improve the flexibility of the joints and muscles.
- CBD helps in reducing stress and anxiety. It has a soothing influence on the nerves and improves mental health. It can also regulate your sleep cycle and allow you to have undisturbed hours of sleep, giving your body and mind the much-needed rest and rejuvenation it needs.
- CBD can help with epilepsy in children. Since CBD has calming effects on the nerves and muscles, it can reduce spasms’ intensity during periods of seizures and prevent ligament tear and muscle wear and tear.
- CBD can reduce skin infections and helps treat conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It regulates sebum secretion from the sebaceous glands and reduces inflammation that results in acne.
Types of CBD
As a beginner, you should know there are three kinds of CBD.
- Full-spectrum CBD contains all the compounds of the cannabis plant, including THC, although the percentage of THC cannot exceed 0.3%, as regulated by the FDA.
- Broad-spectrum CBD contains all the compounds of the cannabis plant, but not THC. Along with CBD, the remaining compounds have an “entourage effect”, which effectively treats multiple ailments.
- CBD isolate is pure CBD. It undergoes many refinement stages and contains no trace elements of any other compounds from the cannabis plant.
How to Use CBD
CBD is available as CBD capsules, gummies and tinctures. One can take CBD oil sublingually as well. It is also available as lotions and salves meant for topical application. CBD vapes can be inhaled, and it enters the lungs, starting to show results in less than an hour.
Now that you know what is CBD capable of, you should start with small quantities as a beginner. You can use 20 mg of CBD to start with and see how it affects your symptoms. You can increase the dose by 20 mg till you reach a point where it provides relief. It is best to consult a doctor as the dosage will vary according to age, gender, the intensity of the problem and the frequency of use, making it difficult for a beginner to figure out.